Evaluation tool – Photograph diary
What is this tool?
This tool invites participants to keep a photograph diary and to capture, select and discuss images relating to an event that are especially meaningful to them. Responses in participants’ own words can provide great insights that are otherwise very difficult to attain. It is particularly helpful during the implementation of a new programme of activity, to check how things are going and provide formative feedback opportunities.
What kind of activities can I evaluate with it?
Photograph diaries are particularly effective with secondary students and for interactive workshops or ongoing series of events (astronomy clubs, or courses), but can be used with most audience groups.
When should I use it?
This tool is best suited to use at the end of an event.
What do I need?
- Phones, tablets or cameras for participants (including you) to take photos.
- A shared folder or social media hashtag so that participants can upload or share their photos
- A projector / computer screen / printer to view the photos
- A quietish place to be able to hold individual or small-group discussions (allow at least 20 minutes)
- A means of recording the discussion or a colleague to take notes
Let’s get started…
Go to the Photograph diary tool worksheet