3rd Conference on History and Philosophy of Astrobiology
3 June @ 8:00 am – 4 June @ 5:00 pm UTC+1
The meeting will start on 3rd June 2022 in the morning and finish on 4th June2022 in the evening. The detailed programme of the meeting will be available after the selection of the abstracts.The conference will deal with the following subjects:
Astrobiology in the scientific community
- The history and prehistory of astrobiology as a scientific field
- Epistemological and other issues in philosophy of science in connection with astrobiology
- Controversial issues in astrobiology (where is the borderline between controversies, misconceptions and fake science) and how do they affect the position of astrobiology in the scientific community and the general public
- Ethical, political and legal questions in space research and exploration and planetary protection (forward contamination, commercial space exploration including space tourism).
- Societal challenges of the New Space Race and the Billionaire Space Race
- Chances and pitfalls of multidisciplinary sciences
- Human imaginations of space travel and life in space
- How has the position of astrobiology been changed in the scientific community during the last decades?
- The future of astrobiology in Europe
Astrobiology and the media
- Interaction betwen scientists and media -chances and dangers
- How important is media presence for the success of different fields and individual scientists?
Astrobiology and the General Public
- Astrobiology in schools and school curricula
- Involvemernt of citizen sientists in astrobiology
- Can astrobiologists promote conservation of environments?
- Can astrobiology augment the interest of the general public in science?
The conference is co-organised by the European Astrobiology Institute and Lund University The event will be managed by David Dunér (Lund University, Sweden), Wolf Geppert (Stockhholm University, Sweden) and Erik Persson (Lund University, Sweden).
Want us to add an event to the Europlanet Society calendar? Send us the details.