Who can apply?
Nominations are open to anyone that has run a successful public engagement or education activity relating to planetary science. Individuals or groups can be nominated by third parties or nominate themselves, supported by three letters of reference.
Groups can be from the same institution, or from a consortium of different organisations. However, Europlanet will only be able to make a single payment to a prize winning group. Groups should nominate a team leader to whom, if successful, the prize money can be paid. It will be up to the group to arrange how any prize money is distributed between the group members.
What kind of projects will be looked on favourably?
Europlanet’s objectives in awarding the Prize are to motivate and enable European planetary scientists to be involved with outreach and education activities, and to find innovative and socially impactful ways of raising the profile of Europe’s planetary science activities among its citizens (as well as policy makers and industry).
Europlanet is therefore looking to recognise public engagement projects that have:
- Developed innovative and effective practices or tools for planetary science communication or education.
- Widened access to and participation in planetary science research (e.g. through citizen science projects, by opening up access to facilities or experiments etc).
- Developed ongoing links between researchers and the wider community.
- Engaged hard-to-reach and low science capital groups in society.
- Promoted equality, diversity, inclusiveness and accessibility.
- Demonstrated significant social impact (e.g. changed perceptions in the audience, or overcame social barriers).
- Reached audiences in more than one European country.
- Connected to Goals and Targets for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Are there any restrictions on how the prize money is spent?
No. Winners may use the prize to fund ongoing public engagement or education activities if they wish, but they are under no obligation to do so.
When can I put forward a nomination?
Nominations for the 2022 Europlanet Prize for Public Engagement will open soon. The deadline for nominations is (TBD).
When will I hear if my application has been successful?
Winners will be notified by (TBD).
Who are the past winners of the prize?
Find out about all the past winners and special mentions awarded by the Judging panel here.
Contact: If you have any questions, please contact Federica Duras, the Chair of the Europlanet Outreach Jury (email@example.com).
Back to Europlanet Prize for Public Engagement main page.