An overview of explosive volcanism on Mars
Petr Brož (Institute of Geophysics of the Czech Academy of Sciences) et al. 2021
Decades of space exploration reveal that Mars has been reshaped by volcanism throughout its history. The range of observed volcanic landforms shows that effusive and explosive eruptions have occurred, albeit unevenly in time and space.
In this paper:
- We present an overview of explosive volcanism on Mars.
- Evidence for explosive volcanism is less common than for effusive activity.
- Still indications of explosive volcanism have been identified at various sites.
- Explosive edifices are often different in shapes from their terrestrial analogues.
- Explosive eruptions on Mars would behave differently from those on Earth.