- This event has passed.
Workshop: ‘Common Challenges and Actions for Distributed Research Infrastructures in Europe’
17 March 2021 @ 2:00 pm – 18 March 2021 @ 5:00 pm UTC+1
ONLINE EVENT: 17-18 MARCH 2021, 14H00-17H00 BRUSSELS TIME
The European landscape of research infrastructures has evolved significantly over the past decades, namely by witnessing an increasing number of institutions, facilities and laboratories that have organized and consolidated their operations and services offered to the research community across countries. With this workshop we would like to invite the RI community to reflect on current challenges and explore future options for developing and sustaining their operations and demonstrate their impact in Europe. The workshop is covering all fields of research and focuses on mid- and small-scale, distributed physical infrastructures, and those RIs that offer Trans-National Access or similar programs.
The workshop is addressing primarily research infrastructure managers and operators, but it is open to all interested participants.
Please note that the deadline for registrations is 16 March 2021 at 17h00 CET
Prof. Nigel Mason, University of Kent, UK
Prof. Sylvie Jacquemot, Ecole Polytechnique, France
Dr. Lavanya Premvardhan, Institut Curie, France
Dr. Francesco Loreto, CNR, Italy
Ms. Niamh Flavin, Marine Institute, Ireland
Dr. Ana Helman, ESF, ahelman[at]esf[dot]org
14:00 – 17:00 Day 1 : Common challenges
14:00 – 15:00: Session 1 – Setting the Scene
- Welcome and introduction (ESF)
- Exploiting the intellectual, scientific and human capital of distributed RIs – Nigel Mason, Europlanet 2024 RI, University of Kent, UK
- Evolution of transnational and virtual access programs and their implementation under Horizon Europe – Lorenza Saracco, European Commission
15:00 – 15:30: Coffee Break
15:30 – 17:00: Session 2 – RIs’ contribution to European research and innovation missions
- Round table: contributions from participating RIs
- Experiences from the Covid-19 pandemics – expanding access capabilities of physical distributed RIs
- Discussion: How can community driven distributed RIs respond to challenges defined in Horizon Europe?
14:00 – 17:00 Day 2 : Common actions and way forward
14:00 – 15:30: Session 3 – Sustainability
- National support for distributed research infrastructures – case studies from countries: Italy (Francesco Loreto, CNR), Germany (Annika Thies, Helmholtz Association), France (TBC).
- Models for sustainability: Panel with representatives from RIs established as projects, societies, networks, ERICs, etc. – Claes-Göran Wahlstrom – LaserLab, Ondrej Hradil CEITEC, Stefan Jungbluth – EVI/TRANSVAC, Gerry Sutton – MaRINERG-I, Geert Van Minnebruggen – VBI, Simon Krek – ELEXIS
15:30 – 15:45: Coffee Break
15:45 – 17:00: Session 4 – Going forward
- Assessing the impact of research infrastructures – Elina Griniece, EFIS, RI-PATHS project
- Discussion on future actions
- Highlights and wrap-up
Want us to add an event to the Europlanet Society calendar? Send us the details.