Virtual Fireballs Workshop #2 on Fireball Databases, Lunar Impact Flashes and Machine Learning
4 February @ 1:00 pm – 5. February @ 7:00 pm UTC+2
In cooperation with Europlanet, a series of four workshops bringing together different networks of fireballs observers as well as machine learning experts is taking place over two years. This series aims to culminate into i) the development of a common data format and/or common entry point to the observational data of the different fireballs networks, and ii) machine learning science cases for meteor observations.
The second of these workshops will take place virtually on 4-5 February 2022 and aims towards:
- introduce and continue discussing the different fireballs networks, databases and data formats with a strong focus on its technical aspects;
- continue discussing and exploring the possibilities of a common data format and/or a common entry point to all data, reports on recent activities;
- introduce Lunar impact flashes, observation networks and software;
- continue discussing and identifying machine learning science cases for fireball observations.
The workshop will also introduce and discuss Europlanet, its Virtual Observatory for planetary sciences (VESPA; vespa.obspm.fr) and the support it can offer to the fireballs community. Through EPN-TAP services, VESPA currently provides access to more than 50 decentralised databases worldwide, and it might be one option for a common entry point to the different fireballs networks that will be explored over the course of the workshop. In addition, Europlanet also provides support for the development of machine learning science cases, and the fireballs community is invited to discuss potential use cases during the second half of the first meeting. As an outcome, this workshop intends to provide an outline for the next months and to define first tasks towards the overarching meeting goals. The third workshop of the series is intended to be organized in autumn 2022.
The registration is open until 16 January 2022.
- Günter Kargl (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ute Amerstorfer (email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Detlef Koschny (email@example.com)
Workshop #1 presentations: Link (click here)