EPSC 2020 goes live for schools
For the first time, the Europlanet Science Congress (EPSC) 2020, a scientific conference on planetary science, is opening its doors to schools and will give students a glimpse of how contemporary science is done.
Teachers and students are kindly invited to join us virtually with their classroom or educational institute (suggested age range 12-18 years old or older).
When: This autumn from the 21st of September – 9th of October 2020, presenters from all over the world will make their work available to schools to follow online. For 3 weeks, a list of topics on high level planetary science, ranging from the Moon to the exoplanets and laboratory experiments will be given.
- 1. List of scientific talks with plain language summary (available on-demand video)
- 2. Every week a Q&Α session with one of the experts will be broadcasted live, and the students will have the opportunity to pose questions to them.
- 3. Supporting workshops will be organised by both experienced and young researchers on introductory topics, targeted at students who wish to learn more about e.g.:
- How we calculate the Age of the Earth
- A trip to Antarctica to chase meteorites
- Our solar system and its weird cousins
- What is “Astrobiology”?
- “Anatomy” of a Scientific talk (students vote their favourite scientific talk)
These activities are kindly being organised by the researchers of Lecturers without Borders, the Europlanet Early Career (EPEC) Network and the Diversity Committee of the Europlanet Society.
Please register your Intention to participate (non binding from your part), either in the live or in the recorded events, according to the technical capabilities of your classroom, in the following form:
Registration link: https://form.jotform.com/202154005635040
Registration deadline for schools: 15th September 2020
Let’s open up science to young students and give them the chance to ask experts in planetary science questions directly! The events will be held in English, with a possibility of a follow-up in the native language of the speaker, if different from English (French, Greek and Russian are already included). More to be announced soon.
Other activities for schools and educators
Arts Competition: Schools are also invited to participate in the EPSC arts contest #InspiredByOtherWorlds. If you have been inspired, create and share your drawings, storytelling, pictures, videos, models, craft works or art installations at home. The deadline for submissions is 31st of October. There are no age restrictions for participants. You can find more information on the contest at https://www.europlanet-society.org/outreach/inspiredbyotherworlds-arts-contest/ If you’d also like to share on social media please use the hashtags #InspiredByOtherWorlds #EPSC2020.
Check out Europlanet’s educational resources.
More about Outreach at EPSC 2020